Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tech in the field

    

     Being in Ann Arbor, I wasn't shocked to see technology being used in the classrooms at Clague Middle School.  During the first few weeks of observing classrooms and walking around the school, I noticed a variety of different modes of technology in action.  I began to inquire more about the various forms of technology that are available for students and teachers.  I was shocked by the plethora of items to which the teachers have access.  While some of the materials were slightly out of date (videocameras), some of the tools were fairly new and in great condition (3 computer labs complete with Macs from the last year or two).  In addition to some of these materials, the usage of technology I found to be the most abundant was the carts of macbooks that can be checked out for any class.  There are 3 carts full of 30 laptops that are available to check out online with the school's librarian.  The other forms of technology that exist at this school include recording devices (with a tripod), LED projector screens in every classroom, and an abundance of computers and laptops.  Additionally, at the latest PD meeting I heard discussions about ordering new tech resources for interactive whiteboards.  Meemo I think it was. 

     While having all of this technology at a school is great, how you use the technology is far more important.   I have noticed a pretty significant difference in the attitude and engagement in the students when the computers/projector/other forms of technology are being used with the lesson in class.  While it makes sense that they are more interested in using these tools, it is somewhat less obvious to me that the amount of learning seems to be improved by these methods.  While my sample size is not big enough to make a substantial claim, it does seem that kids' motivation and learning improves when the technology is being used effectively in the class.  My cooperating teacher uses technology really well in the class.  I think the key to this success has been the various ways that the technology is integrated and putting the responsibility more on the students.  When students take ownership of the work and he/she knows that it will be displayed in front of his/her peers, the performance and effort tends to increase.  Because social status and emotional security are so important at this developmental stage, it makes sense that using technology to wrap social and emotional learning into instruction would pay dividends.  
      However, I have also realized that my mentor teacher's personality meshes really well with the activities and tech use in the class.  This may not always be the case with every teacher.  Personally, I see myself using less technology than what I have seen at Clague, but that does not mean that I value it any less.  I admire those teachers who have found a way to incorporate tech into the classroom and keep the intimate relationships and authentic teaching atmosphere intact.  




No comments:

Post a Comment